How Research is Breaking the Rules of Brain Metastasis Patient Care
About the speaker
Douglas Kondziolka, MD., M.Sc.
NYU Langone Medical Center, USA
Professor of Neurosurgery and Radiation Oncology at NYU Langone Medical Center
- Dr. Douglas Kondziolka received his medical degree from the University of Toronto and graduated from the Toronto neurosurgery residency program in 1991.
- From 1989 to 1991 at the University of Pittsburgh, he completed a master of science program in the Department of Behavioral Neuroscience and a fellowship in stereotactic surgery and radiosurgery. His thesis focused on brain radiobiology.
He joined the faculty of the Department of Neurological Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh in January 1992 and later was named Chief of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery. His laboratory and clinical research in stereotactic radiosurgery spans the breadth of indications including benign and malignant tumors, vascular malformations and functional disorders.
In November 2012, Dr. Kondziolka joined the neurosurgery faculty at New York University as Professor and Vice-Chair for Clinical Research. He launched the first global registry platform for neurosurgery that focused initially on the broad array of radiosurgical indications. A current research focus is on metabolic and vascular effects of brain tumor radiosurgery using novel neuroimaging techniques.
Dr. Kondziolka has published 550 articles in refereed journals, 260 book chapters and/or invited publications, and has edited 8 books. He has completed four randomized controlled trials.
- He is a two-time recipient of the Stephen Mahaley Award for brain tumor clinical research from the Joint Section on Tumors of the AANS/CNS.
- He received the Lars Leksell Award from the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies.
- In 2004, he was honored as the Penfield Lecturer of the Canadian Neurosurgical Society.
- In 2006 he received the Robert Florin Award of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons for socio-economic research, and in 2007, the AANS Integra Foundation Award.
- In 2007 he received the Jacob Fabrikant Award from the International Stereotactic Radiosurgery Society.
- In 2014 he received the Bernard Sanberg Award for significant research contributions from the American Society for Neural Therapy and Repair.
He is a Past-President of the American Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, and Past-President of the International Stereotactic Radiosurgery Society. In 2006-2007, he served as President of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons. He served as neurosurgeon for the Pittsburgh Penguins of the National Hockey League from 2002-2012.
He served as co-chair of the editorial board of the Journal of Neurosurgery (2008-2013) and is now Associate Editor. He serves on the board of the Neuropoint Alliance. In 2014 he became a Director of the American Board of Neurological Surgery and is current Chair of the Oral Examination Committee. He has been a visiting professor at the top institutions in the United States and Canada, and has lectured extensively across the world.
Douglas Kondziolka, MD, MSc, FRCSC, FACS
Gray Family Professor of Neurosurgery
Vice-Chair, Clinical Research (Neurosurgery)
Professor of Radiation Oncology
Director, Center for Advanced Radiosurgery
NYU Langone Medical Center
530 First Avenue, Suite 8R
NYU Langone Medical Center
New York, NY, 10016
Benefits of Neo-Adjuvant SRS Versus En Bloc Resection
SRS-related Complications and Long-term Maintenance of Mini-Mental State Examination Scores
Clinical Implementation of Software for Treatment of Multiple Brain Metastases
Clinical Outcomes Utilizing Software for Treatment of Multiple Brain Metastases
Next Technological Iteration for Treatment of Multiple Brain Metastases
Treatment Response Assessment and for Retreatment Decision Making
Role of Radiosurgery for Treatment of Brain Metastases in the Era of Targeted and Immunotherapies
Clinical Evaluation of Neurocognitive Assessment Tools
Interested in watching this clinical talk? Please click on the button “WATCH Video” to enter your contact details and to have access to two additional videos from the member-only Novalis Circle. Your contact information will only be used to contact you about Novalis Video related updates.WATCH Video
Thank you for watching! Please enter your contact details below to continue watching and to have access to two additional videos from the member-only Novalis Circle. Your contact information will only be used to contact you about Novalis Circle video related updates.Watch video No Thanks
Already Novalis Circle Member?Member Login